The purpose of the JavaWa GMTK program is making management of installed Garmin maps easier on our computers.
If we use the word computer than this means: Windows PC and/or Apple Mac (one of them or both).
In what cases we can use JaVaWa GMTK?
- Migration from an old Windows PC to a new Windows PC (XP, Vista, Windows7 are supported).
- Migration of an old Windows PC to a new Apple Mac (only if the maps are in the new map format).
- Copy your installed maps (backup) to an USB-Stick, USB-Harddisk, somewhere else on your computer or to another computer or network disk within your local network.
- Harddisk to full, move maps to a second harddisk.
- Harddisk to full, move maps to an USB-Harddisk (not recommended because of slow map draw performance in MapSource and BaseCamp)
- Mini notebook with maps, but first hard-disk is to small.
- Remove maps which you don't use anymore.
- Repair possible of several Windows registry errors for the installed maps.
- Separate backup/restore possibility of the unlock codes.
- Change the TYP file of an map.
You can here download the program for Apple Mac and Windows PC
What are old maps?
Old maps are the maps in a format which are usable in Garmin GPS devices and only are used on Windows PC's.
The most notable signature of these maps is that the map is installed on the Windows PC and that it's registered in the Windows Registry. MapSource, BaseCamp and Training Center can then use these maps.
These old maps do not work on a Mac.
Can we convert old maps to the new format?
Yes, the old maps can be converted to the new map format. You can use the JaVaWa MapConverter program on a Windows PC or Mac computer to convert the maps to the new format. If you use JaVaWa GMTK on a Mac, the conversion to the new map format will be performed automatic for you, no additional conversion programs are needed.
What are the new maps?
Maps in a new format which can be used by all modern Garmin programs under Windows and/or Mac OS X. All information of the map is put into one folder/directory and there is no use of the Windows Registry anymore. The maps can be copied between Windows and Apple computers whiteout any conversion.
How do i recognize the kind of map (old or new) on Internet?
AT most maps there is an installation program, and almost all down loadable maps are maps in the old format and uses the Windows Registry. Only the City Navigator maps after th year 2009 are in the new format.
The old maps are called the MapSource maps. The new maps are mostly called RoadTrip maps or Mac maps(but could very well used at a Windows PC as well).
Which maps are in old an which in new format?
This depends on which kind of computer the installation is done, but most installed maps in Windows are still in the old format.
In GMTK the following color coding us used for the maps:
- A green square for old maps.
- An orange square for new maps, only available for the current logged in user.
- A yellow square for new maps, but available for all users on this computer.
What is a Typ file?
In the TYP file is described for the Garmin programs who the map must be shown on the screen, which color need a road to be, how thick must a path drawn on the screen. Some people like to change there TYP file to get better colorized maps on their computer and in there GPS device. By using this function in GMTK you can easily change a TYP of a map bu using an TYP file from internet
Read here for more information about the possibilities of TYP files.
Pictures of GMTK:
Possible actions on the unlock codes:
Destination choice with Backup:
Change map name, number and folder/directory possibilitys (in Extra's):
Migration plan to go to a new Computer:
If you want to migrate from an old computer to a new one, this is a basic migration plan.
You don't need to install anything on the new computer, except JaVaWa GMTK off course, you can install MapSource/BaseCamp, but it's not necessary.
- Start GMTK, select all maps and choose for Backup. (watch the size, does it fit on your USB-Stick?)
- Backup the maps to an USB-Harddisk, USB-Stick or network disk with enough free space left (unlock codes are automatically backuped also).
- after the backup is finished remove the storage medium from the old computer and attach it to the new computer.
- Start GMTK and choose Restore.
- Select the maps and leave the restore paths default, unless the disk where to restore to is to small in size. Then choose another location and say Yes if the question pops up if you want to move all maps.
- Start the restore and wait till it finishes.
- After the restore is finished, check with GMTK if the maps are correctly restored and shown by GMTK.
- Now you can install MapSource (Windows) orr BaseCamp (Mac / Windows) or Training Center (Mac / Windows).
- Check if your maps work correctly.
* MapSource and BaseCamp for Windows are here available for download.
* Traning Center for Windows is here available for download.
* BaseCamp for Mac is here available for download.
* Traning Center for Mac is here available for download.
* Older versions of MapSource and BaseCamp are here available for download.
* MapSource versions which do not need installation are here available for download, the concurrent use versions are advisable.
Do you find a bug? Please report the bug to JaVaWa by using e-mail
Iff all fails, than there is a possibility to order support by using our GPS Helpdesk by appointment service. We can help you to solve your problem together with you (remote screen by internet).
Our main language is Dutch, but support in English is possible and we can use Skype to phone each other.
Software License Agreement:
This software is free to use at your own risk and only for licensed maps. Commercial or non-commercial distribution by means of physical media or trough the internet (the Web, newsgroups or other distribution systems) is prohibited. You may not modify, adapt, translate or create derivative works based upon the software. Please link to the page on my website rather than directly to the file(s).
Garmin Map Transfer Toolkit
Gamin Map Tool Kit English
Garmin Map Migration
Garmin maps to new PC
Garmin maps harddisk too small