Upgrade your zumo 590 to zumo 595 firmware

FAQ's for Garmin zumo models and nüvi models.
Marco
Contacteer:

Re: Upgrade your zumo 590 to zumo 595 firmware

Berichtdoor Marco » 05 jul 2017 06:15

We will see with next map update, I dont expect a problem, LM is attched to serial number and thats still the same.
Marco.

Kennis en kunde van Outdoor, Sport en Motor GPS'sen van Garmin, Tripy, TomTom, Mio, Teasi, TwoNav.

Zie ook ons GPS Cursus aanbod en YouTube kanaal
Marco
Contacteer:

Berichtdoor Marco » 20 aug 2017 13:42

Marco schreef:Upgrade your zumo 590 to the zumo 595 firmware

Tip for Dutch users!
Download the attached text files (original 595 files) from this post and place all three of them in your zumo:\Text\ folder, overwrite the old files.

Update to first post with Dutch text files.

If you language is not native English, try to find a friend with a zumo 595 to copy his/here language text files from their zumo to yours.
Marco.

Kennis en kunde van Outdoor, Sport en Motor GPS'sen van Garmin, Tripy, TomTom, Mio, Teasi, TwoNav.

Wil51

Berichtdoor Wil51 » 24 aug 2017 08:43

Update with new map 2018.20 and no problem.
Laatst gewijzigd door Wil51 op 28 aug 2017 07:24, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.
Marco
Contacteer:

Berichtdoor Marco » 27 aug 2017 20:29

Split of English and Dutch questions.

Dutch threath (draadje) can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1575
Marco.

andebruijn

Berichtdoor andebruijn » 29 aug 2017 21:07

Hi,

I've been reading about this and have been trying to make a ZUMO 595 out of my 590. It seems to have been working. However, when I try to connect to basecamp, my Garmin shows as a SD card, and does not load te map into basecamp on a Mac.

It also appears that when connected the orange computer turns white, so maybe a communications problem there. Basecamp tells me there was a communications problem and I have to install new firmware. When web updater opens it shows I have to update from version 0.00 to version 4.20.

I have flashed 2 times, but this seems not to be a solution. When opening in Windows, basecamp only shows Southern Europe instead of complete Europe.

Any ideas on the matter?

Thanks a million.
Marco
Contacteer:

Berichtdoor Marco » 29 aug 2017 21:23

Ignore the errors :) ;) I myself only use the microSD card to transfer stuff to the zumo and then manually import it using the 3stripe/tool menu's

Make sure you load the maps onto the computer using the advanced part of Garmin Express, then City Navigator map is then installed on the computer also and works much faster (zooming, panning and searching stuff).
Marco.

eqcons

Berichtdoor eqcons » 31 aug 2017 16:59

Conversion works very well for me. It has me wondering though - is the standard 590/595 hardware different from the Harley Road Tech version? If not, I wonder if loading the Harley firmware would enable the tone feature that lets the Road Tech versions interrupt all the other component audio of Harley's Infotainment system. Anyone know?
Marco
Contacteer:

Berichtdoor Marco » 31 aug 2017 18:23

If you can find the Harley Road Tech firmware, then you can try it yourself. Updater will fail if it is not possible.

I see al lot of models, but the current model seems to be an 590 model Road Tech Zumo 590 Navigation System
Marco.

eqcons

Berichtdoor eqcons » 31 aug 2017 19:43

Yes, that's the current one, Marco - the 590. They haven't yet come out with a Road Tech version of the 595.

I suspect the firmware will be hard to find though.... :?

One little problem I've found today - if you have edited the GarminDevice.xml file as required, and marked it read-only so that it's not overwritten with a corrupt version every time you connect to the PC, when you do a map upgrade to a new version, the upgrade happens, but can't update the .xml file so every time Express checks for updates, it reports that the upgraded maps are still available.
Marco
Contacteer:

Berichtdoor Marco » 31 aug 2017 20:33

My Express is not telling me to upgrade every time, But I also have disabled Express to pop up every time when I connect a GPS (Express settings).
Marco.

eqcons

Berichtdoor eqcons » 31 aug 2017 23:47

Because I subscribe to the speed cameras I need Express to connect frequently. I'm working on the problem though.

The Road Tech 590 firmware doesn't support the TPMS function, so sadly no good. :(
andebruijn

Berichtdoor andebruijn » 01 sep 2017 21:56

I came across this one on zumoforums regarding not connecting to basecamp. I tried it and it worked. The only thing is you have to do it every time after a new connection. You can try make the file read only to prevent the device from writing to it.

Beside the orientation bug(?) it also creates a corrupt "GarminDevice.xml" causing Basecamp to throw an error message upon connecting the 590+5. Basecamp will not be showing the tracklog, waypoints and other data. GarminDevice.xml also states the device as 'zumo' and not 'Zumo 595' but that only seems to be a cosmetic problem. Another minor problem is the hidden folder '.system' in MTP mode. You can reset the hidden attribute, but after rebooting the 'Zumo 590+5' it's hidden again (I'm quite sure the 590 didn't revert .system back to hidden after reboot). The last 'problem' I noted is that it takes about 45 seconds before the Zumo is shown in Windows Explorer after connecting to the USB port. I think that was much much shorter before the upgrade.

But apart from this all, the upgrade seems to work fine :)

I edited a copy of GarminDevice.xml and removed the broken sections. Look for the section shown below and remove it. It's occurring twice. You can also change the name from just 'zumo' into something else like 'Zumo 59x' (line 6, '<Description>Zumo 59x</Description>') Remember that the Zumo will create a new GarminDevice.xml each time it is connected to your computer, so you have to redo the changes. (I just copy my edited file and overwrite the newly created one)

After removing the faulty sections, Basecamp will connect fine to the Zumo 590+5 and the tracks, waypoints etc are there where they normally are shown.

Regards, Marcel.

<UpdateFile>
<PartNumber>006- - </PartNumber>
<Version>
<Major>0</Major>
<Minor>0</Minor>
</Version>
<Path>Garmin</Path>
<FileName>.zip</FileName>
</UpdateFile>
Mzeist

Berichtdoor Mzeist » 02 sep 2017 13:25

yeah, just mark GarminDevice.xml read-only and it won't be touched by your Zumo. (could be problematic when you subscribe to Cylcops or other updates though)

Regards, Marcel.
fantom

Berichtdoor fantom » 07 sep 2017 09:57

Hi, did anyone find any problems connecting ZUMO to web updater? I do not recognize the ZUMO says it is not connected or not turned on.
Does anyone have the same problem?
thank you
eqcons

Berichtdoor eqcons » 07 sep 2017 10:36

fantom schreef:Hi, did anyone find any problems connecting ZUMO to web updater? I do not recognize the ZUMO says it is not connected or not turned on.
Does anyone have the same problem?
thank you

Works OK for me, but these days I think they expect you to use Garmin Express anyway.

Terug naar “Garmin zumo / nüvi”