Upgrade your zumo 590 to zumo 595 firmware

FAQ's for Garmin zumo models and nüvi models.
elooijenga

Re: Upgrade your zumo 590 to zumo 595 firmware

Berichtdoor elooijenga » 09 aug 2019 12:06

elooijenga schreef:Device is working like a charm, no problems whatsoever. Only thing is, every time I connect it to Basecamp there's an update. That's not correct isn't it?

Sorry, my bad. I mean when I connect is to Garmin Express!
Marco
Contacteer:

Berichtdoor Marco » 09 aug 2019 13:28

Difficult, normally after an upgrade of firmware the notification should be gone. Unless you have problems with the garmindevice.xml file where after starting up the latest versions are shown (file is written).

But if you have made the garmindevice.xml read only, then old firmware version is shown. So update garmindevice.xml manually to the correct firmware version number or make sure (just delete the xml file and reboot) that the xml can be read and written.
Marco.

Kennis en kunde van Outdoor, Sport en Motor GPS'sen van Garmin, Tripy, TomTom, Mio, Teasi, TwoNav.

Zie ook ons GPS Cursus aanbod en YouTube kanaal
elooijenga

Berichtdoor elooijenga » 09 aug 2019 13:44

This is the xml file text. It's read and write

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<Device xmlns="http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/GarminDevice/v2" xmlns:dtlx="http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/GarminDeviceExtensions/DataTypeLocation/v1" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/GarminDevice/v2 http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/GarminDevicev2.xsd">
<Model>
<PartNumber>006-B2436-00</PartNumber>
<SoftwareVersion>460</SoftwareVersion>
<Description>Zumo 59X</Description>

I will try to remove the xml file. After rebooting I guess I have to remove the part 006 line again?
elooijenga

Berichtdoor elooijenga » 09 aug 2019 17:15

Marco schreef:Difficult, normally after an upgrade of firmware the notification should be gone. Unless you have problems with the garmindevice.xml file where after starting up the latest versions are shown (file is written).

But if you have made the garmindevice.xml read only, then old firmware version is shown. So update garmindevice.xml manually to the correct firmware version number or make sure (just delete the xml file and reboot) that the xml can be read and written.

Problem solved, thanx.
frojak

Berichtdoor frojak » 13 aug 2019 13:36

My device is working fine. I only have one problem and that is the connection with Spotify. It work perfect with bluetooth audio, but not with Spotify. I have tried several solutions but none has fixed the problem.

Does anybody have a fix for this? I am using an Samsung S8+, and a Scala Packtalk intercom.
Bassiebw

Berichtdoor Bassiebw » 21 aug 2019 12:23

frojak schreef:My device is working fine. I only have one problem and that is the connection with Spotify. It work perfect with bluetooth audio, but not with Spotify. I have tried several solutions but none has fixed the problem.

Does anybody have a fix for this? I am using an Samsung S8+, and a Scala Packtalk intercom.

Have a look at https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoin ... 7#comments
Just change your bluetooth name of your zumo to "zumo 595"
Marco
Contacteer:

Berichtdoor Marco » 21 aug 2019 15:08

Thanks, I put it in the start post.

zumo 595

And nothing else!
Marco.

Kennis en kunde van Outdoor, Sport en Motor GPS'sen van Garmin, Tripy, TomTom, Mio, Teasi, TwoNav.

TonD

Berichtdoor TonD » 05 nov 2019 21:21

Done the upgrade from 590 to 595 at the beginning of this year, which did work fine.
Both the smartlink worked reasonable, and I could still share routes with my peer via Bluetooth

Zumo to Zumo sharing to his 590. This however was at that time with version 4.50 in the re-coded 595. Then however I made the mistake that with Garmin-Express the device got upgraded to 4.60. As of then I couldn't share routes anymore with my peer using his 590. As this was a nice feature during our mutual holidays, I want this feature back.

So lets try to re-code the 595 at version 4.60 back to 4.50, with the proper files of course.
This however didn't work, and it kept coming back with version 4.60.
Ok then lets try to go back to the 590 with version 3.30 again, which worked great.

Ok then lets go back to a 595 with the version 4.50, surprise it did come back again with 4.60.
And I did reload the original file from http://gawisp.com/perry/zumo/ and used the file

Zumo595_450.gcd to garantee that I had the right code, but again it came back with 4.60??

Anyone any clue?

rgds, Ton
Philipych

Berichtdoor Philipych » 05 nov 2019 22:21

TonD schreef:
Zumo595_450.gcd to garantee that I had the right code, but again it came back with 4.60??

Anyone any clue?

rgds, Ton

delete the GUPDATE.GCD file in the System folder :-D
TonD

Berichtdoor TonD » 06 nov 2019 20:20

@Philipych, many thanks that was indeed the solution. After removing the GUPDATE.GCD in the "hidden" systemfolder, and again loading the "Zumo595_450.rgn" into the device it came up with version 4.50. And looking now into the hidden systemfolder, there was no GUPDATE.GCD file available in there. So also no version including the 4.50 firmware. Note: with a hexeditor I did verify the contents of the prior GUPDATE.GCD, which indeed indicated that it did contain version 4.60 in it. So now again I will do some pairing tests with my peer having a 590 to see if we can interchange routes via Bluetooth. And will do some tests for the Smartlink feature. If those results are dissatisfying, I will go back to my "old" 590. Else I will stay on the 595 with version 4.50. This graph shows the comparison between the file on the Garmin from the .system directory with the correct file.

GUPDATE-vs-Zumo595_450.JPG
Laatst gewijzigd door TonD op 07 nov 2019 19:37, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.
Marco
Contacteer:

Berichtdoor Marco » 06 nov 2019 23:13

Is it possible that the GUPDATE file is in the \Garmin\ folder of the microSD card (or on the zumo itself)?
Marco.

TonD

Berichtdoor TonD » 07 nov 2019 11:20

The GUPDATE.GCD file was on the Garmin itself in the
.system directory which is hidden, so you need to look on you windows versions how to show hidden folders first.
After deletion of that file, I was able again to "restage" my device back to version 4.50 on the 595, which seems to work way better for me then 4.60.

So far I've also performed some Smartlink tests by moving routes from Zumo to my phone and vice-versa, with good results. Hopefully the routes sharing in between my Zumo"595" and the Zumo590 from my peer will also work again. Which will most likely be tested in coming weekend.
TonD

Berichtdoor TonD » 11 nov 2019 08:33

The route/track sharing tests have passed, sometimes needed some retries, but acceptable. So for the time being will stay at the 595 with 4.50 code.
jfheath

Berichtdoor jfheath » 08 dec 2019 15:47

I performed the 590 to 595 upgrade yesterday, and so far I am really pleased with the result. At the very least I can put the software of the 595 through its paces. Having got to know exactly how the 590 behaves when routing, I am keen to find out if the 595 offers improvements. Then I will decide whether or not to revert to the original.

Whatever - many thanks for these resources. They are excellent.

Observations from running the 590 to 595 Update.
When running the Update program using the Update.exe program. Holding two fingers top left & bottom left while turning the Zumo on. This resultes in two messages. The first is SYSTEM in small letters at the top of the screen. At some point the computer beeps the recognition of the USB connection. You have to respond fairly quickly with the mouse to click the OK button in Updater - otherwise the recognised USB connection disappears.
I found it necessary to practice this (I am right handed). Left hand fingers touching top left & bottom right - keeping hand clear of the screen to be able to see the SYSTEM message. Right hand to plug in the USB cable (I had the cable already plugged into the zumo, and plugged the other end into a handy USB port on my desk, which made life easier. Then right hand ready on the mouse to click OK.

The LOADING… process took very little time. I thought it had failed, but it started up with the new software. I installed v 4.40

When starting up from powered off, the Zumo reported Zumo / Copyright 2019 / Garmin Ltd or its Subsiduaries. It used to say Zumo 590.
I had deleted Garmin Express from my system to prevent it from recognising the Zumo when I attached it, but I re-installed it after the upgrade to see how it handled the update of the software to v4.60. Garmin Express recognised the attached device, reported it as just ‘Zumo’ and quoted the same serial number that it has always known - which matches the label in the battery holder. It asked for a nickname and an email address and I made these different from the ones that it knew about the Zumo. It reported 4 available updates, one of which was software v4.60.

The update to 4.60 went equally smoothly. A subsequent run of Garmin Express reported that the unit was up to date with Software Version 4.60.
The unit behaves like a Zumo 595 - although I have only ever had a 595 in my hands for a few minutes prior to this to compare.

Some short term experiments (I can’t really call them tests).
Pairs easily with BT headset, smart phone, thick phone, Car. Tested with phone calls, MP3 Media player, Spotify on smartphone, a media player on smartphone.
Phone calls via BT worked in both directions (to call out and to receive a call)
It recognised the 2020.20 maps immediately - no need to wait.
Routing behaved as expected.

Issues to query and yet to resolve.
The option to change screen orientations is not available.
The phone icon does not appear at the top of the screen when a phone is connected, even though the phone is connected and working - it can be accessed from the phone App, and incoming calls pop up on the screen.
The documented Failure to Communicate with the Zumo is reported by Basecamp, but files seem to transfer perfectly Ok. The unit is in MTP Autodetect mode rather than in Mass Storage. I prefer this as it is then not necessary to dismount the USB drives before disconnecting the cable.

Query
Which part of the process actually alters the firmware, rather than upgrading the software ? Is the firmware part of the gcd file ?

I had backed up the entire contents of the internal memory of my 590 before performing this upgrade. If I wish to go back to the 590, can I re-install MY original system software from GCUPDATE.GCD, or do I have to use the gcd file downloaded from gawisp/perry/zumo ?
Marco
Contacteer:

Berichtdoor Marco » 08 dec 2019 17:05

Rollback using the same methode via Updater. Is it described in start post?
Marco.

Terug naar “Garmin zumo / nüvi”